May 14, 2012

6 Reasons To Stop Watching TV

This Sunday I quit television. I love watching TV, especially Glee and House. Those two are my favorites. But I spent about 4 to 6 hours a day, staying up late, watching TV. It consumed my life. I rarely slept, I snacked a bunch, I skimped on responsibilities, and I yelled at people when they interrupted my show. It was awful,

So when I'd gained a couple pounds, made my little sister cry and didn't sleep for two days I realized I had a problem, and something had to change.

So I quit TV. Permanently.

Needless to say, there were some awesome benefits to this.

The Biggest Benefits To Quitting Television:
  1. You get more done. I used to think I never had enough time to do anything, even the necessary stuff like eat and go to school. But once I quit TV, all of a sudden I had huge windows of time open and I got lots of stuff done. I felt energized and motivated, I wanted to get more done even. I did the dishes (we don't have a dishwasher, so this takes forever), did all my homework, baked cookies, had a spa day, and read a book. I wrote, minimized, cleaned, gardened... It was kind of insane how much happened in such a short amount of time.
  2. You sleep easier. Because I wasn't stimulating my brain with top-notch graphics right before bed, it was easier for both my mind and my body to relax so that I fell asleep faster. Once I was asleep, I had a very, very deep sleep.
  3. You're more relaxed, all day long. I used to think I couldn't relax without sitting down to watch TV. But once I stopped watching TV altogether, I didn't need to relax in the first place. The lack of hyper-stimulation allowed my body and my mind to move at normal, relaxed speeds.
  4. You eat better. No mindless snacking, no going through an entire gallon of soda without realizing it, none of that. I made more conscious choices about what I was eating because I was more present throughout the entire day. I didn't drink a single can of soda all day.
  5. You're more content with what you have. This is because you're not being bombarded with advertisements telling you all about the things you don't have. Because the TV is off, you're allowed to focus on what you do have, instead of all those things the commercials say you should have.
  6. You have more time to do the important things. Because of all the time you no longer spend watching TV and all the new energy you have, there's a lot of free time. Free time that can be used to write a book, go for a walk, or whatever suits your fancy.
Oh, and for those of you who are parents, the kids were better behaved and calmer too.

What do you think? Are you a couch potato or TV-free?

No comments:

Post a Comment