June 29, 2012

Perception of Wealth

For years, I grew up thinking I was a poor kid. And compared to the other kids in my class, at church, in town, I was.

Then I realized I was filthy rich, and spoiled too. And I live in a family of four who survives on $150 or less a week. I'm rich, despite my country's wealth standards. And I bet you, you're rich too.
  • If you are not starving to death, you are richer than 50% of the world.
  • If you have plenty to eat, you are richer than 75% of the world.
  • If you have a safe home to sleep in, you are richer than 80% of the world.
  • If you have a personal computer, you are richer than 95% of the world.
  • Two computers? You're in the top 1%.
Wait... what? Yeah, you heard me right.

Here (in America) there's a big argument about tax breaks for the "top 1%". However, the majority of the people calling themselves the "other 99%" are wealthier than 99% of the rest of the world. They are the top 1%.

So take a moment and be thankful for what you have before you start thinking about what you don't.

Further Reading:
Compare your income to the rest of the world: Global Rich List
Lessons from Less

No comments:

Post a Comment