July 16, 2012

Being Content With Less

You may have noticed it in passing in some earlier posts, but my family doesn't make a lot of money. To be specific, we, a family of four with only 1 adult, live on 700 or less a month. So as much as I love a life of minimalism, sometimes it's not so much a choice as forced upon me. It's hard to collect a large amount of things when you have trouble paying the electricity bill.

However, this doesn't mean I don't like being a minimalist, or that my home is even very minimalist (we do still have way too much stuff), but there are times when I wish we weren't. When I wish we had more money, so that I could have roller skates, makeup, cable tv, and other such teenagery things. It's hard, not being able to afford even the few things I do want, let alone the things we need.

But then I look around my home, and realize I have everything I need to be happy. I have a roof over my head, a place to sleep, plenty of food to eat. I have internet and PBS. I have an air conditioner and a heater. I have a loving family, tons of friends, and a library card. I have my bible and sketchbook. I have a computer. And then I think why in the world am I upset over a pair of roller skates when there are children starving to death, people at war, and the planet is dying?!

So no, I'm not always happy as a minimalist. But I should be. I want to be content. I'm working on that. The important thing is to keep in mind what you really, truly need to be happy, and what is just superficial, temporary desires.

How do you stay content?

No comments:

Post a Comment