April 24, 2014

Vegan Spiced Strawberry Oatmeal

Vegan Spiced Strawberry Oatmeal

I'm a huge morning person, which for me includes eating a gigantic, filling breakfast. As I've begun my transition to ovo-vegetarian (a vegetarian who doesn't have milk), oatmeal has become my crutch. Not only is it healthy, convenient, easy and packed with protein (11 grams in each cup) - but it's also sweet, luxurious, and makes the transition that much more comfortable.

I discovered this awesome combination while scrounging for food in our under-stocked pantry. I was impressed enough to share it with you. When I find my camera I'll take some pictures. This recipe provides two servings of about 1 1/2 cups very thick cooked oatmeal.

You Will Need:

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup water
1 cup rice/almond milk (or more if you like thin oatmeal)
1 pinch of salt
2-4 tbsp pumpkin pie spice (to taste)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp honey
2 cups chopped fresh or frozen strawberries (the riper the better; feel free to experiment with other berries)
1 tsp vanilla extract

The Oatmeal:

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan except rolled oats. Cook until boiling, stirring occasionally. When boiling add rolled oats, and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and serve warm or refrigerate for later.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment