July 23, 2012

Intermittent Fasting Update

Weight Lost, in last 2 weeks: 4 pounds.

What worked:

  • Taking occasional notes on mistakes, problems, and possible solutions. It allowed me to reflect on my choices, and make better choices the next day.
  • Choosing healthier, lower calorie options to foods I already eat - I switched to fat free milk, low-fat or fat-free yogurt, egg white omelets, etc.
  • Serving smaller portion sizes. I overate less.
  • Fasting through dinner - from about 1pm, until breakfast the next day.
  • Fasting twice a week.
  • Tracking my weight every few days.
  • Quitting drinking my calories - cutting out juice and soda and limiting the amount of creamer I used in my coffees worked super well.
  • Drinking more water. This worked super well, because I just always carried a full refillable on me. 
  • Setting an alarm on my phone to remind me when I'm supposed to be fasting.

What didn't work:

  • Counting calories and sticking to a strict caloric number. I quickly got annoyed and quit counting.
  • Quitting coffee. I love it too much, and I'd rather be fat and happy than miserable and caffeine deprived.
  • Eating more protein. I don't know why, but it just didn't happen.
  • Weighing myself every day. I usually forgot.
  • Fasting through breakfast - it made me miserable and I ate more because I was miserable.
  • I'm still not getting enough protein or iron. 
  • I'm still eating too many carbs, and not enough vegetables.
  • Fasting every day - ugh, don't try it. I got grouchy and mean.
  • Exercising every day. I forgot and lost interest.

What I'm going to do different:

  • Fasting twice a week, on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
  • Fasting starting at 1pm and going until the next morning.
  • Focusing on high-protein foods.
  • Eating at least 1 vegetable a day.
  • No more counting calories, or sticking to a restrictive number.
  • Continueing to drink my coffee.
  • Weighing myself once a week.
  • Focusing on lower-calorie, healthier alternatives.
  • Trying to exercise for at least five minutes everyday.
  • Schedule all my fasts into my phone calendar, with an accompanying alarm.

Overall, I like it. Intermittent fasting seems incredibly natural. It was easy and comfortable. And it takes pressure off the focus on eating super-low calorie foods because I'm going a while without calories, which naturally lowers my daily consumption. It takes away a lot of the pressure on my food choices, and makes eating more enjoyable and fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment