July 4, 2012

Struggle as an Opportunity

Today I'm going camping for about 4 days. I'll be going with my best friend, some of her other friends, and her family... and two of my ex boyfriends will be there too. Two ex boyfriends that left a very big scar in my heart.

Now, a year ago I would be crying and refusing to go. I would be terrified. Then I'd go anyways, and I'd spend the entire time complaining, being bitchy, and getting in fights.

But not this time. Why? Because my super-awesome-all-knowing mother pointed something out to me.

That this isn't to torture me. This is an opportunity God has given me to become a better person. It isn't a test, it isn't for fun, but it's a training session. A training in patience, trust, faith, love, compassion, and my ability to turn the other cheek, move on, and be the bigger person.

So for this trip, instead of being stressed about how bad it's going to be, I'm going to say lots of prayers. I'm going to take deep breaths. I'm not going to raise my voice.

And I'm going to be so nice and sweet it's going to give me a toothache.

Now, traditional American values dictate fighting back, defending yourself, taking revenge (an eye for an eye), getting even, and that if you don't fight back you're admitting that you lost, and that you're wrong.

I'm going to try and change that this weekend. I'm going to try and say that no, not fighting back isn't admitting defeat. It's saying that it's not worth fighting about and that it doesn't matter whether or not the other person it agrees with you.

Because you know what? For the most part, it doesn't matter. It's not worth it. And the whole world doesn't need to agree with you.

So turn the other cheek. Be nice even when you don't want to. Don't fight back. And watch how suddenly your entire life becomes very, very peaceful.

What do you say? You gonna give it a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment